Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dessert – A fun food storage idea

Photo by Peggy Clyde

As you know I have loved doing dry pack at home with Mylar Bags and my iron. It has been so fun to be able to store little bits or big bunches and seal them with oxygen absorbers for when I want to use them. While looking at some of my favorite blogs, I found a new fun idea for dry packing food in quart canning jars. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I can’t wait to see what I can do with this new information. This information is from Peggy Clyde. Here is what she says:

“I have been storing comfort food for times of need. Use a clean canning jar with new lids and rings. Put the food into the jars to within ½” to ¼” from the top. Add an oxygen absorber to the top of the food, put on a new lid and screw the band down tightly. Within several hours, the jar will be sealed and will last many years. The food inside will be like new when opened.”

“I have stored M&M's, chocolate chips, brownie mix and cake mixes. With the brownie mixes and cake mixes, I added one unflavored gelatin pack per egg required with the mix. Water plus the gelatin is equal to an egg when baking. I write the directions and what the mix is on the lid. Oxygen absorbers can be purchased from Amazon for a little around 10 cents each. Or, if you live near a Home Storage Center, you can also purchase them there.” – Peggy Clyde (http://peggyspantry.blogspot.com/)

This idea really intrigued me. I have not tried it yet but I will. I think the possibilities are endless. The only thing I think you would have to remember is that the jars would have to be very full so that the new lid would seal. Too much oxygen and it wouldn’t seal. All the more reason to store lots of extra new canning lids!

One idea that I want to try is to store a chocolate cake mix, (just take it out of the box but leave it in the bag it comes in, and stuff it in a quart jar; add 2 envelopes of Knox gelatin (you could also use powdered eggs or fresh eggs if you have them). For each chocolate cake mix I bottled I would also store a can of cherry pie filling. Here is one of my favorite recipes. Other variations you could store include; chocolate cake with raspberry pie filling, spice cake with peach pie filling, spice cake with apple pie filling and yellow cake mix with lemon pie filling, or strawberry cake with strawberry pie filling. White cake mix works but you come up with funny colors.

This is, hands down, one of my very favorite desserts. This would be awesome to have on your shelves for whenever you want a little pick-me-up! If you have not tried this recipe, you must. It is so quick and easy and tastes heavenly. I just mix with a wooden spoon so that you can taste the cherries too. I promise you will love this delicious desert. You don’t even need to wait for an emergency to make this.

CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS
1 chocolate or fudge cake mix
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
2 eggs, beaten
Combine all ingredients together and stir by hand until mixed well. Pour into greased and floured baking sheet. Bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes or until done. For frosting combine:
1 c. sugar
5 T. butter
1/3 c. milk
Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add 1 c. chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Pour over chocolate bars. *Can also be baked in a 9x13 pan or used for cupcakes.

3 comments:

Julene said...

I have been reading your blog for the past 2 days and I am so impressed with all the info you have packed in here!! Have you ever used a food saver with the jar attachment? Search for a video on Youtube because the foodsaver totally changed the way I store candy, cake mixes, etc. I dehydrate my garden produce and seal it with the foodsaver. The possibilities are endless!! Thanks again for the wonderful blog! I amt the emergency preparedness person for my ward and I do a blog for them too. I will be reading every post on yours, amazing!!

Meg said...

Instead if a cake mix that requires eggs... why not do wackey cakes that are eggless?

Robert Jon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.